How is the AFNSWAS working?
The American Friends of NSWAS supports a genuine and durable peace between Arabs and Israelis, Palestinians and Jews, through dialogue, cooperation and education.
It specifically does so by financially supporting the educational projects of Neve Shalom/Wahat al-Salam, the only community in the Middle East where Jews and Palestinians choose to live, work and raise their children together in equality and mutual respect.
The American Friends of Neve Shalom/Wahat al-Salam also engages in outreach campaigns to raise awareness about the conflict and the alternative Neve Shalom/Wahat al-Salam proposes.
- A unique environment of equality and respect for both Jews and Palestinians;
- The first-ever bilingual, binational, multicultural primary school that gives an advanced understanding of each side to its students;
- A framework for binational encounters and common actions toward peace for teenagers and adults;
- A center for interfaith dialogue and initiatives between Muslims, Jews and Christians;
- Outreach campaigns in the United States: tours with representatives of Neve Shalom/Wahat al-Salam, media outreach, exhibitions touring the country, videos and educational materials published.
Back to top
- Experienced staff of two: a Director of Development, Operations Manager.
- Dedicated Board that includes a mix of financiers, educators, fundraisers, lawyers and conflict resolution experts.
- An average annual budget of $700,000 from private donations, government grants, foundations grants and workplace giving resources.
- The American Friends of NSWAS is a founding member of ALLMEP, a coalition of NGOs dedicated to peace in the Middle East, based in Washington, DC.
The American Friends of Neve Shalom/Wahat al-Salam engages in ongoing:
- Outreach throughout the United States.
How we evaluate our work
The American Friends of NSWAS uses a variety of tools to evaluate the success of its work, including:
- A financial assessment of grants sent to the educational projects of Neve Shalom/Wahat al-Salam;
- An analysis of its donor base, including the capacity to attract new donors;
- An annual financial audit;
- In Neve Shalom/Wahat al-Salam: an analysis of the number of participants and projects initiated by the educational programs;
How we report our successes and difficulties
- Two to three newsletters, as well as 8-10 e-newsletters, are sent every year to our supporters.
- We publish activity reports on our website and a annual report.
- Our website keeps visitors updated about the programs of Neve Shalom/Wahat al-Salam, and the activities run in the village and in the United States.
Back to top